Thursday, July 31, 2008

Scrambled? Fried? Sold?

I just stumbled upon an interesting story on CNN.com.

The title? More Women Donating Eggs. Some Women Say They Donate For Money.

So, you know, I clicked on it...and found this out: 'A woman who passes the health and psychological screenings can get thousands of dollars in return for her donation.
"The donors will make in the area of $7,000," said Nancy Block, founder of the Center For Egg Options. In the Valley, Dr. Bruce Shapiro at the Fertility Center of Las Vegas said compensation is closer to $3,000 to $5,000."


Dude, five grand? Maybe seven?? Woo! Here's how the following conversation went between the Man and I:

Me: Honey, this article said women are donating eggs for financial reasons in this shit economy...

Man, barely looking up from his laptop: Really...

Me: I think I'm going to give one up, I could get seven grand!

Man, looking up quickly, with perplexed look: Honey?! no.

Me: Yeah, I'm doing it, I could give two, that's over ten grand. I'm sitting on thousands of dollars!

Man, half-smiling, half-not: You're not giving away eggs! (shakes head) What?! Why?? No.

Me: Why? Men give sperm up all the time! I'll just let them suck one outta me.

Man, now back to laptop. The discussion - for him - is over: No.

Okay, so no, I'm probably not selling my eggs. But let's think here - we're not planning on having kids, so my eggs are just going to dust out and die right? I have a virtual fortune hanging out in my mid-section!

You can read the rest of the story here.

I'm going to make lunch. Egg salad, of course :)

1 comment:

Ami said...

This brings up the question I always used to wonder about sperm donors, which I guess is the same thing that people who give up children for adoption go through to some extent...wouldn't you wonder where your egg went, what it was doing, who was raising it? Not that I don't think it's a noble thing to do in many cases, but I'm not sure I could do it. Although $7000 for an egg I'm not using does sound like a pretty good deal.