Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wind = Windy?

I just realized I've been misusing a word. I think.

Okay, so, you wind a clock. Once you wind it, it's wound, right? Cool. Now, using the same word, in a different form, could you say the roads are windy, as in curvy? Or do you automatically think those roads are victim to a constant, big breeze?

I thought windy, as in curvy, was a word, but I've just been informed by the Man that it's either wind, or winding. Really. So I guess it's the roads are curvy.

I had a few beers at lunch.

And now the Man won't stop singing The Long and Winding/Windy Road...

He's hysterical.

3 comments:

nejyerf said...

huh. i haven't never really thought about this particular word dilemma before. but i believe i have been guilty of using windy to mean curvy.

that is like the debate between "baited" breath and "bated". i've seen it both ways and I believe it is the latter.

you've made me think and it is after 11pm and i've just watched both Project Runway and Shear Design. I don't have a coherent thought in my head!!

Ami said...

The Man is wrong. Just looked it up in good old Merrium-Webster because I've been using it that way, too, and windy can be used to mean winding also, as in "a windy path".

You were right. Rub it in.

34 Years said...

Aha!

Thanks Ami :)